600 years of history: the Council of Constance building was erected between 1388 and 1391 as a grain store and warehouse and hosted the Constance canvas fair for a time. From 1414 to 1418, it was the venue for the only election of a pope north of the Alps. The conclave convened from 8 to 11 November 1417 on the first floor of the building and elected Cardinal Otto Colonna, under the name Martin V, as the sole Pope.
In the 19th century, the upper hall was used for an exhibition of commemorative artefacts on the Council of Constance, and as a result, the building became known as the ‘Konzil’ (Council). Altered several times since that time, this historical building has been used as a venue for concerts and events since the beginning of the 20th century.
TIP: Guided tour "Ein Kardinal und der Sekretär des Papstes geben sich die Ehre"
You can find out more about the Council of Constance at one of the many events commemorating its 600th anniversary and on one of the themed guided tours , such as the new "Tales of a cardinal and the pope's secretary" guided tour. It takes participants on a journey back to the Middle Ages to relive the events of the only papal election north of the Alps.