Town hallwith many facets
There are many treasures to be found among the buildings of the town council offices, from the Italian Renaissance-style courtyard and the former linen weavers' guildhall to murals and the Haus Zum Thurgau. And there is as much to admire inside as there is outside, for example the artworks on show in the town hall Gallery. The courtyard is well worth seeing and captures the spirit of the Italian Renaissance. At the heart of this architectural ensemble lies the former linen weavers’ guildhall (Zur Salzscheibe), which was rebuilt during the 16th century with entrances on Kanzleistrasse and Blätzle Platz square. The council chamber, with its entrance on Hussenstrasse, however, is located within the walls of the late-medieval Haus Zum Thurgau.
The paintings of 1864 on the facade that faces Kanzleistrasse depict important scenes from the town’s history, such as the Burgrave of Nuremberg assuming control of the March of Brandenburg in 1417. Equally illuminating are the frescoes in the first floor entrance hall, painted by Carl von Häberlin in 1898. The town hall gallery is also a venue for special exhibitions.
TIP: RECEPTIONS AND OTHER EVENTS IN THE COURTYARD
After tying the knot in the historical town hall building, married couples can celebrate their wedding with a reception in the romantic setting of the courtyard. And during the summer months, the open-air chamber opera held here in the courtyard provides a platform for high-calibre musicians and new talent alike.